on familiarity and convenience (of place and--this might be a stretch--possibly education), and how we associate this with comfort and the feeling of "home" ... and how this affects our own place-consciousness and then our writing. And I'm going to make another leap here (forgive me fellow 992 folks), how familiarity, convenience, and replication/duplication--the whole "cookie-cutter" phenomenon (wait, is it a phenomenon?) is sometimes also used to describe what is (or what some argue to be) happening in creative writing programs (that is the MFA program as Big-box store for writing: turning out the same products at a higher rate but at, possibly, lesser "value") ... But I won't be writing that post now. For one thing, the latter part of what I just wrote requires
a lot of stretching, and I'm not feeling too limber today. I will try to gather my thoughts and wrestle them into some sort of shape so they have some structure and don't read as just tributaries of my own stream-of-conscious thinking (or read like, you know, a blog post). Instead, since I have so few pictures here on this blog, I thought I'd post one today. I do not have a camera, so the picture I'm posting was taken with a phone (that has a camera). I do hope to purchase a real camera soon.
Anyway, the picture is from my present location or near my present location--it's not near my neighborhood, but it is of a location in Lincoln that's not too far from where I like to walk. I like the picture (which is in black & white and was taken last spring) because it makes me feel
small--that type of small that feels good in that good way that feeling small can sometimes feel (like a kid when you were in awe of anything & everything taller than you). Plus, the photo, or the object in it, reminds me of Legos, and Legos are always a good & happy thing to be reminded of.
What is it? Where is it? (And does it matter?) Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment