I spent way too much time finagling with fonts and font colors and backgrounds and photos. I found html code for the moon. I stretched photos. I shrunk them, too. I did all of this knowing that I would sometime soon need to actually post writing on this blog. I love writing, and can certainly get caught up in the dream of words, but there’s something intoxicating about fonts, colors, sidebars, and always and anywhere the moon at any stage.
I’m finally posting. I’m embarrassed to reveal how long it took me to pick out the background color for this blog. Perhaps just writing the previous sentence is confession enough?
Another confession: I have trouble writing about myself. I can say (or add to what’s written in the right sidebar) that I’m entering my second year as a PhD student here in Lincoln. I just spent the greater part of summer back “home” in the Northwoods. I’m used to many little lakes and one Great Lake, and I’ll admit coming here in August of 2008 was a big adjustment. It took some time getting acquainted with three Lincoln characters: the heat, the humidity, and that seemingly always-cloudless sky. We’re all old friends now. I’m still so new here, but already I’ve found favorite nooks and crannies. I love the shade of the trees and the long twisted paths that border Salt Creek. I’m a (trail) runner, so finding a trail in the woods was a total score for me last fall. And then I became injured. And then I hopped on my bike and rode the great bike path system here. I spend a lot of time outdoors, especially in cooler weather. I love winter. I love snow. I do hope (and please don’t get too upset at what I’m about to write after I close this parenthetical) we get more snow this winter.
*
I teach as a teaching assistant here in UNL’s English Department. My students come from all over Nebraska, with some South Dakotans, Kansans(?), and Texans thrown into the mix. This semester I’m teaching Writing and Rhetoric, and so far it’s a blast. It’s also the first week, so no major challenges have leapt out at me in just two class meetings.
Before I arrived at UNL, I was a TA in my graduate program at Northern Michigan University and taught composition courses along with narrative and descriptive writing. The students mostly came from rural areas, and many came from the surrounding Upper Peninsula—a land very isolated from any major (or even minor) metropolitan area: on one side are the forests of the Northwoods and on the other side is Lake Superior. Although, some of my students came from lower Michigan (“below the bridge”) and haled from Detroit and the Detroit suburbs—an increasingly unique place these days.
This summer and the two previous summers, I taught a writing course to students in 6th through 10th grade. The course is part of a summer school/nature-environmental camp held near the Wisconsin-Upper Michigan border and is called Camp Lowenwood at Conserve School. (Most definitely I would like to incorporate what I learn about place-conscious education into my summer teachings at Conserve School.) This short teaching experience is, for lack of a better word (forgive me, it’s late), magical. Although my students came from areas very different from our summer home in the Northwoods, we all grew so close to our surroundings and did so in such a short time (I might have been at an advantage since I grew up, coincidentally, in the very same region). We formed a community of writers during those weeks, and the writing the students created (and even some of the poems I penned) reflected this tight community, this place we embraced in that northern land (and outdoor classroom).
*
What I find as a wonderful challenge teaching first-year college courses is getting the students—almost all of them literally in a new location—to feel a connection to their new place and to use their place, their actual physical setting (whether we sit and write in a college classroom or venture outdoors and write by a metal tree—or real trees, for that matter; I’m referring to the metal tree sculpture on UNL’s campus) as motivation to write something new and fresh or perhaps something more in-tune with their already growing writerly voices. And, maybe, somehow this change in place might serve to stretch these growing writerly muscles.
*
20 comments:
For what it’s worth, I really like the background color and the moon phase updater on your blog! I also am enjoying your writing. Your outdoor classroom at summer camp, and your habit of taking students at UNL outside to write, sound like great fun…and I suspect your own move to Nebraska has helped give new perspective to your own work and writerly voice :)
I would have loved to have taken your class as an undergrad! I also hope we get more snow this winter! If it's going to be cold out, there needs to be snow to make it bearable. Plus, you can't go sledding without snow. Your students are fortunate to have you as their teacher!
I must say, Michelle, my favorite line in your blog is a simple one: "The wind can be wonderfully wicked." I think that is the best I ever heard someone capture one of my least favorite phenomenon in Nebraska. However, it is something to be in awe of:)
Agreed: Nebraska weather certainly has characters. I was trying to explain to my students the other day how sometimes nature or a place can be a characters in literature. Perhaps using the Nebraska weather as an example would have helped. Our weather is quite fickle, and often cruel, anyhow :)
Also, I appreciate knowing that the moon is currently: Waxing Gibbous.
Thanks for sharing.
Dear Michelle,
You say you don’t like to write about yourself, but your voice is so clear in your writing that you reveal yourself in many ways. Since I’ve lived in Nebraska my entire life, I like to hear the perspective of non-natives. I’m happy to learn you have “made friends” with heat, humidity, and the seemingly always-cloudless sky here in Nebraska. ☺ I look forward to getting to know you through this class and dig-in to our place.
Jennifer Troester
Hi Michelle,
I have to agree with others here: you are a wonderful writer. I, too, loved the way you described Nebraska wind. It is wonderfully wicked, but after almost fifty years of residence, I'm not sure I could call it wonderful. I hate the bone-chillingness of the winter wind. However, I am in awe of summer winds and violent storms. I just love the feel of the air right before a storm as the calm prepares us for the high speed winds and the look of the trees as the wind picks up. So, yes, I love summer winds, but winter winds--it makes me cold just imagining them! By the way, because of El Nino, we are expecting a mild winter this year, so it may not snow a whole lot. Although, I think the last time we had El Nino, we did have a lot of snow, but not a lot of blizzard conditions. Just more like mountain snow...lots of it, but melting quickly.
And I love the moon! I love the nighttime sky (or in my case, usually the early a.m. sky).
Cathie
Michelle,
UNL is lucky to have you on board. I hope some of my McCook students will have you as an instructor. My husband and I just returned from Mackinac Island and a tour of the UP (Upper Pennisula). We had our first taste of "pasties" (pass-tees) which ironically, I tried to copy today for lunch. What a gorgeous area and my photo album is now adorned with our memories of the trip. What a treat to know a native!
Thanks so much for your creative finagling on your blog page! It is just right. I so enjoyed reading your thoughts on your home in Michigan. My mother is a fellow native from Charlotte, MI, and I have wonderful childhood memories of summers spent on Higgins and Duck Lake and traveling up to Sault St. Marie,Mackinaw Island, and Tahquamenon Falls. Thank you also for your perfect description of Nebraska wind. It is something to be reckoned with, that is for sure. Welcome,and I look forward to reading more of your wonderful writing!
Hello Hall Ninja,
I think it's important to consider that the time you spent working on shaping this blog is really important ... it's like laying a settling claim on the virtual world, mapping out your own virtual geography and setting up house. So I say: Play. Go back to design whenever you feel like. Rearrange the mental furniture, so to speak.
I so enjoy your writing. I can't wait to read more.
For what its worth, my first thoughts upon entering your blog were, "Whoa! Cool. How did she get this beautiful blue? It wasn't in the cookie cutter examples." So, your time tinkering - time well spent.
Do you find that your first year college students come with the needed skills to be successful? In the last fifty years the percentage of high school graduates attending post-secondary education has skyrocketed. I wonder if the students I send out are prepared. I truly hope so. Enjoyed your post. And you can nix the self-consciousness about writing about yourself. You do it quite well. :)
Moon Wind, it could be your secret name, the one we need to use to open up and find the hidden you. Or I could just call you Michelle. When you started talking about the moon, it immediately brought to mind a book I read lately by Dean Koontz, Strangers. The moon figures prominently in the development of the plot.
I also thought about your comment about wanting more snow, and just yesterday I was asking someone why we think we need to apologize because we want different things from the weather. I want rain so I don't have to water my grass, and you want sun because you're invited to an outdoor event. Since we have no control over the weather, why do we apologize for what we want?
I enjoyed your writing style and hope that your sense of place grows during your Nebraska years.
Michelle-
I also think we need more snow :) I am a HUGE fan of winter....and I loved how you talked about the three characters of Lincoln- the heat, humidity, and cloudless sky. It's true...those three elements are a part of eastern Nebraska. Where I live in southwestern Nebraska (20-25 miles from the Colorado border) we do not have the humidity that Lincoln experiences, sometimes we have heat, but it's a dry heat. And I love the cloudless sky...it makes me feel like the world goes on forever without any barriers. I'm glad you're enjoying Lincoln, I'm quite fond of it :) Looking forward to hearing more from you!
I love your writing, Michelle! I hope to get to know you in person someday. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's having trouble writing about myself (and in my case, feeling very self-conscious about it). I grew wistful when I read about the places you've come from and taught. The north woods landscape is very close to my heart and that of my husband, who spent a lot of time in the Boundary Waters area. I miss it so much. And I want more snow too! I'm struck by how open you are to your new home on the Great Plains. I think your students are very lucky to have you as a teacher!
Hi Michelle,
I totally sympathize with your struggle over choosing fonts, colors, and photos. I love writing, too, but I love design and pairing words with images almost as much. A blog is a dangerous thing for people like us!
I was really glad to read what felt like such sicere praise for Nebraska. This place is a hard sell sometimes, but I was glad to hear that you like the trail system. Have you been to Platte River State Park? It has lovely trails. And it IS sunny here most of the time-- something I don't think we natives really realize. I'm a big fan of rain, myself, so I honestly sometimes get tired of such sun. But it's nice most of the time.
Thanks for sharing your many teaching experiences. Your "magical" writing summer gig sounds divine!
Looking forward to chatting with you more!
Michelle: Thanks for the intro, both to you and your places, and to the reflective work of composing in cyberspace. I want to comment on both. First, I'd love to hear more about the Conserve school (is it what its name implies, a school devoted to conservation and sustainability? of what? ecology of the region? human heritage in the region?), and will be curious to learn how your work here connects. I certainly have personal connections to landscapes like the UP -- from a host of my wife's relatives on the Lake of the Woods at the very top of Minnesota, the same snow, lakescape, boreal owl irruptions. Second, to follow up on Erica's comments, I've been thinking a lot about how composing a space for self/community in cyberspace is itself a form of the work of this class. According to many of the digital youth culture theorists, digital space is a real space, often more psychologically real to (shudder) "today's youth" (note the quotation marks indicating the concept is complicated and not wholly embraced by me as writer).
Please feel gently urged to post a picture of yourself somewhere in this blog, or on our course blogger tool that only class members can see. Part of the irony of teaching *this* class online is this huge question of how to build class community, and having some representation of each other is part of that.
~Robert
To Robert: You said the cyberspace is itself a form for place.That brought to mind Orson Scott Card's novels in the Ender series which I believe you've read. He made it so real it was matter-of-fact. How about that reality for today?
Thank you for your blog, and I would love to hear more about two things: 1)how you came to Nebraska, and what you think of it so far, and 2)I would love to hear more about the Conserve School.
I am an English teacher in Omaha and I teach an ecology lit unit to tenth grade honors students. the Conserve School sounds like a distant cousin of what I do (although a handsomer and more successful one). I am always looking for more ideas, particularly when it comes to curriculum and coursework.
I look forward to hearing what you have to say this semester!
Hi Michelle,
I laughed out loud at your first paragraph—about all the blog feature messing you did—because that pretty well described me also. ☺ The colors, the photo features, the link capabilities are impossible to resist—because they’re fun, but because the ways of representing ourselves are varied with these tools.
I’m fascinated by your experience at Camp Lowenwood at Conserve School. What a way to connect kids to their bioregion—and through writing! How cool that would be to replicated here in Nebraska.
I’m also intrigued by your “challenge teaching first-year college courses . . . getting the students—to feel a connection to their new place and to use their place as motivation to write something new and fresh or perhaps. I’m actually envious of you working with those first-year students and their perspective on a new place. In my attempts to write with high school seniors about their place in the last few years is that they’re lack of seeing new places sort of blinds them to the value and tensions of their home place. Maybe we should get our students together?? ☺
Thanks for a great introduction to your places.
Mary
Thanks all.
If you don't mind, I'd like to answer any questions in a follow-up post? I fear this little box here is too small.
I'll also post more pictures, including a picture of myself, soon.
Michelle,
Your blog is beautiful. Be proud of it. I agree with many comments above, too. You are obviously quite skilled at writing about yourself. While your photographs and colors and fonts aren't writing in the traditional sense there is no doubt that by spending time "writing" yourself.
Like others, I think we'll all have a lot to gain but hearing about your teaching experiences. Some of us are interested in the type of school you describe, so I'll be looking to hear all about it.
Post a Comment